Australian Advertising Codes and Regulations
When you publish content through Articles, Ads or Events into Mudgee and within our Australian Town and City Websites we ask that you do so responsibly and take all Australian Law and Trade Practices Act into consideration and please follow the relevant Australian Industry Body Best Practice Guidelines. Below we have assembled some information and links for your consideration.
Honest advertising practices are not just good for business, they are required by the law. The Australian Consumer Law contains rules that businesses must follow when advertising and selling products and services Source: ACCC:
ACCC Advertising and promoting your business
- Advertising & Selling: ACCC Guidelines
The Australian Trade Practices Act
Is a "must understand" if you are selling goods or services in Australia
Information Below is mostly from the Advertising Council of Australia.
Who seem to regularly assemble some of the best general information on Australian Advertising Regulations and Guidelines (Link Below)
Competion and Consumer Act 2010
The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CCA) is the central piece of legislation relevant to Australian advertising, and covers the relationships between suppliers, wholesalers, retailers and customers. Its purpose is to promote fair trading and competition, and provide protections to customers. (Download Fact Sheet)
AANA Code of Ethics
The AANA Code of Ethics is the cornerstone of the advertising self-regulatory system, and is supported by advertisers, media agencies, creative agencies and media owners across Australia. It applies to any medium as per its definition. The Code is supplemented by a number of product-specific codes, and is underpinned by an independent complaints handling system administered by Ad Standards.
Ad Standards & The Community Panel
Ad Standards administers the AANA’s national system of self-regulation, and manages the complaints resolution process. Ad Standards functions as the secretariat for the AdStandards Community Panel and the AdStandards Industry Jury – two independent bodies established to determine consumer and competitor complaints against the AANA Codes.
PRODUCT & AUDIENCE SPECIFIC CODES AND REGULATIONSAdvertising to Children
- ABAC Responsible Alcohol Marketing Code
- ABAC Responsible Alcohol Marketing Code – Guidance Notes
- ABAC Alcohol Packaging Compliance Guide
- ABAC Pre-Vetting Service Guide
Can I advertise Tobacco in Australia?
Simply in Australia it is illegal to publish or broadcast messages that encourage people to start or continue smoking.
See Australian Government Department of Health Tobacco Advertising Ban
In Australia the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) is the responsible body
TGA Complying with advertising requirements
- Therepeutic Goods Advertising Code (for all products)
- TGA Advertising Hub
- Medicines Australia Code of Conduct (for prescription medicine)
- GBMA Code of Practice (for generic medicine)
- MTAA Code of Practice (for medical devices)
- Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Standards, Guidelines & Best Practice
- ACA Best Practice Guide – Social Media and Online Commentary Code of Conduct
- von Muenster Legal Privacy Factsheet (25 Nov 2020)
- The Privacy Act 1998 (Cwth)
- The Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) Bill 2006
- The Spam Act 2003
- ADMA Code of Practice
- ACCC Digital Platforms Inquiry – Final Report
- von Muenster Legal Trademarks Factsheet (25 Nov 2020)
- von Muenster Legal Copyright Factsheet (25 Nov 2020)
Much of the above is Source and thanks to: The Advertising Council Australia